The history of the moated castle goes back to the 17th century. The castle was commissioned by the Dukes of Geldern (Gelre). The present-day structure was constructed on the ruins of the former castle, which had in turn been built on the remains of the first castle ‘Huys den Kamp’.
The left wing and left side of the castle burnt to the ground between 1806 and 1850. Only the left side of the castle was rebuilt at a later date.
The rooms of the piano nobile are furnished in historical style and transport visitors back to earlier times when the castle was still inhabited. Art exhibitions take place regularly on the second floor, the Van Gelder Floor, where the wedding room is also located. The restaurant and café in the vaulted cellar are used for celebrations, brunch and breakfast.