The Carl Duisberg Park was developed when the Bayer company acquired the Ultramarin paint factory from Carl Leverkus in 1891. At that time there was just a small cafeteria garden directly next to the factory (current location between Bayer skyscraper W1 and Q 30).
The park was first laid out in from 1903 – 1913 with the construction of the administration building Q 26 and the new cafeteria. It was completed in 1913 as the Kaiser-Wilhelm-Park.
The new park was characterised by curved paths, circular open spaces, large lawns and groups of trees and shrubs. To the south, woodland-style areas of trees and shrubs screened the park from Flittard, a part of the industrial plant which was already in existence at that time. To the west, the park-style landscape gradually gave way to the areas for the horticultural department and to the gardens of the management buildings.
Particularly in the 1920s, the park was enhanced by works of art and structures as a result of donations from Privy Councillor Carl Duisberg.
The Flora temple was thus created in 1921. This garden building was designed by artist Georg Klimsch with the Apollo temple at Versailles serving as a model. Adorned with further figures, reliefs, stone benches and decorative groups of plants, the temple was erected on a slight rise opposite the cafeteria.
The Caritas fountain by Professor Hugo Lederer was created in 1923 opposite the rear of the cafeteria.
In addition, Duisberg’s management villa was constructed with a large garden to the west of the cafeteria. The Japanese Garden and other formal garden areas were among the elements developed here.
Following the Second World War the park was in very poor condition and was only gradually restored.
The park was extended to the south in 1951. Some parts of the Flittard section of the industrial plant were incorporated into it, giving it its current north-south orientation.
Further changes occurred in 1963. The Bayer skyscraper was built on the site of the Japanese Garden. Due to the construction of the new building, the Japanese Garden and its various elements were moved southwards to their current location. Further sculptures from Duisberg’s former garden were erected in the park, e.g. the “huntresses” and the fawn fountain.
In 1988, the former horticultural area was included into the park, thus extending it to the west as far as the outer edge of the industrial plant. This was necessary due to the construction of BayCom. The “U road” was moved to the western edge of the plant, giving the park its current expanse.
Apart from BayCom, elements in the new areas included the car park for the Japanese Garden, lawns, groups of shrubs and also a corresponding access structure.
The last large-scale building work carried out in the park was the construction of the new corporate headquarters on the site of the old Duisberg villa in 2000. The building was integrated suitably into the park design.
The park has survived in this form to the present day. A final measure was the closure of the Carl Duisberg swimming pool and its conversion into a central reception area for visitors. The fencing around the pool was, however, retained.