KEMERI RESORT PARK (JURMALA, LATVIA)
A resort was established in Jurmala in the 18th century due to the healing properties of sulphur waters. Kemeri park is one of the oldest and major parks outside the capital Riga. It was designed in 1839 by K.H. Vagner, a gardener from Riga as a landscape park with a network of paths, amenities and rich greenery, romantic bridges, pavilions, and rotundas. With the opening of Kemeri Hotel in 1936, a symmetrical garden parterre with lawns, flower plantations and alleys was created.
In 2020 and 2021, the park underwent an extensive reconstruction, preserved and restored according to the historical photographic evidence. Being located within the Ķemeri National Park was an additional challenge as the renovation had to comply with the conservation requirements. The network of walking paths was renewed, and new paths built. According to the style of the resort, more than 5,000 rose and hydrangea plantations and almost 20,000 ornamental plants were added as well as more than 500 trees. A playground has been built close to a new herb labyrinth. The “Islet of Love” with a pavilion-rotunda now is a romantic place again. The refurbished sulphur spring pavilion and the sculpture “Lizard”, from which a spring of sulphur water flows, are reminders of the historic importance of the water.
The renovated water tower offers splendid views and hosts an interactive exhibition about the resort and its history.
Photo: Artis Veigurs